Sysnovo Inc. has been in the business of helping entrepreneurs realize their goals of creating profitable and enduring businesses for over a decade. During that time, we’ve had a great deal of customers seek our advice after having tried WYSIWYG site builder and free hosting services. Often times, we were even approached by customers who had paid thousands of dollars to buy e-commerce themes and services just to find out that they couldn’t add services they wanted and were heavily restricted by the company providing them with one-size-fits-all services – not to mention that their paid support cost more than the entire site and they still didn’t deliver what our customers wanted.
In this article, we discuss the restrictions and long-term disadvantages of using the one-size-fits-all approach for online marketing and development. This is one of the biggest mistakes we’ve repeatedly seen our customers make. They start their online business using a free service and quickly find that they are restricted in numerous ways that hurt their business. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of starting out with a free websites:
- There is no such thing as a free lunch; or free parking according to our developer Richard.
- Initial outlay may be zero, but you will pay more to get the job done right the second time.
- You will not be guided by professionals that will guide you to make informed decisions.
- Search engines will not recognize your inbound links once you move to a custom domain.
- The end result will never be what you imagined and you will have to settle for less.
- Some of these services are Ad-driven, which will definitely have a negative impact.
- The space or traffic limits may hinder your growth and your customers’ satisfaction
- You’re limited in the features you can add and will not allow custom plugins or code.
- Your credibility may be at risk if your website is hosted on a sub-domain – me.somesite.com
- Your emails will not be consistent with your domain and may be marked as spam.
- The service provider may begin charging you a fee if you reach or exceed space or traffic limits.
- Most of these services do not offer support and don’t offer backups or recovery.
- Your content may be flagged or banned or taken offline completely without your permission.
These free web services are great for hobby and personal sites, but be very careful to consider the pros and cons before choosing said services for professional endeavors. If you do go it alone, you can build a quality site purchasing your own domain and using WordPress. However, you will quickly realize that the marginal cost of hiring a professional to do it for you is well worth it. Whether you building an e-commerce store, or a house, professionals will deliver better value by at least one order of magnitude and free up your time so that you can pursue other tasks on your agenda.
If there is a single lesson to be learned, it’s to have your project completed by experienced professionals that can get it done right the first time. This will save you time, money, and a lot of headache – especially when you’re business takes off and you barely have enough time for hiring interviews, meetings, and taxes.